Monday 26 May 2008

Late Night Discover y

Channel hopping on a lonely Monday night, the flatmates are sensibly tucked away, one worked all evening, the other works tomorrow and I mostly unemployed have just discovered that 'Due South' is back on our screens. ITV3 to be precise and there's more than one episode showing!

I am pleased as punch frankly. It's about time ITV brought their freeview reputation up with some all-time classics. The last time they did this they really brought it home with ITV4's nightly double bill of 'The Larry Sanders Show' a true comedy classic that needed to be remembered or indeed seen for the first time. In my eyes it's the original 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' only with a more conventional sitcom set-up using characters like Hank and the hilarious producer played by Rip Torn. It was always worth enduring ITV4's late night ad breaks which concentrated solely on those who 'want to chat to girls in your area'. It ended up being a case of spotting the ones that appeared in multiple ads and spotting the new ads.

Seeing that the ad breaks don't involve girls and last about one commercial, I'm also grateful for the fact that it's the original Due South with the original friend, that guy was always a personal favourite of mine. A great comedy duo from episode one. In fact, I only wish I'd discovered this for episode one. I can't believe I'd forgotten about the soundtrack, slow building power ballad style guitars and programmed drums - beautiful. That says nothing for the classic theme tune of course, a sing-a-long gem.

Seeing this only reminds me of previous freeview classics on Ftn. A channel cruelly replaced by Virgin or Dave or both used to show the greatest of all 90s programming: The Crystal Maze. Certainly a childhood favourite alongside Gladiators - which by the way they also showed, in a fantastically timed early evening daily double bill. Dave's relentless reel of panel shows and old episodes of Top Gear will absolutely never compare to Ftn's brief moments of unassuming nostalgic quality. Though I would argue that Crystal Maze will always be good, regardless of when you watch it for the first time.

Although, was it ITV3 that brought back Quantum Leap? If it was, I wish they'd do that again. I started watching it last year (often when my flatmates were out; they tended to take the piss) and went through a short phase of being completely besotted with Al. I never stopped wishing I had that little bleeping machine: I suppose now it's called 'Wikipedia'.

Oh Fraser, what a man, when in a department store he asks the clerk with a completely unironic smile: "Excuse me, I'm looking for something unusual for my wolf". I don't think I'll be sleeping before 1am for a while if this carries on.

No comments:

Post a Comment