Tuesday 27 January 2009

Advertising

In a post about adverts I pledge NOT to refer to anything created by a particular brand of chocolate. You know the one...I just don't care.

What I do this is pure genius in its total lack of irony is the 'finallyfast.com ad I caught whilst watching 'Police Interceptors' (deserves an entry - might do one soon) tonight. It appeared towards 10pm in one of the breaks and it came across like something 'The Onion' might put together. An American lad sat at his computer wishing it would go faster. The sound, the lighting, every aspect of it so archaic you wouldn't think the types of computers people were using had even been made in this decade...or even in the last decade.

It was like watching any spoof commercial: corny American accents and wide smiles straight into the camera. It's ridiculous, and it stays ridiculous as every person, sat at every desk, with every computer (little white laptops or normal) sighs and frowns about their slow computers until suddenly FINALLY FAST DOT COM shows them the way to better performing computers. A quick-talking voice-over goes through the FACTS, speeding through his script over techno music which I thought I'd only ever get to hear on sex-text adverts. The graphics are disgusting a...it should be a joke within a tv show, not something someone paid to have appear in between actual programes (albeit police interceptors and crisis point on channel 5's digital titbit).

It does everything to a formula scrapped in the eighties and I love it, I love it most for the kid at the end: "Hey, my computer's fast...finally! Finallfast.com"

In fact...watch it:


No comments:

Post a Comment