Monday 18 June 2007

Big Brother Comment v2.0

I keep losing my way, Big Brother is getting away from me this year and it's painful. A fellow BB fan felt the same, she didn't think it was as good as previous years, but I'd actually be willing to give this year a chance. I'd like to see Big Brother getting cheeky again, I'd like to see some more classic Diary Room moments of which I don't think have been since since 2005, or even 2004. I mean obviously we haven't got Victor's excellent monologues, Nadia's nicotine neediness or even god help us, Antony's inebriated come-ons when one of the Big Brother ladies was on the other side.

However, last week excited me, extraordinarily so, when they put Jonathon in, the boat well and truly got rocked. A 49 year-old self-made millionaire is going to have something to say in that house, he's going to command and he's going to bother people. Predictably, that's exactly what happened and no more than two full days after his arrival, there was no exceptions for nominations, the house spoke and Jonathon was too much to handle. They've got Mummy and Daddy in he and Carole and the kids want the nest to themselves. Admittedly, I missed tonight's show but in desperation to keep up to date I checked the website, Seany has been evicted. I'm pleased that Mum and Dad remain, Carole's cracking to quite dramatic proportions. She's evidently despising every minute of her time in the house and is nothing of the lively, liberal lady that bounded in a few weeks ago.

I look forward to seeing Jonathon be more controlling, patronising and somewhat disturbing over the week. He has to be interesting, he has to give us something, because he's one of the most unexpected characters to enter, especially this year when everyone is evidently there for a reason.

I think this year has subtlety on it's side, where the girls at first appeared to be the same person, you realised they weren't, but some seem to be regressing to what you didn't think they could ever be (see Nicky and the interesting dress-off over Liam last night). People have been pleased she's smiling some more but frankly I prefer her moody. I see a little of myself in her and I know that if it was't for the cameras I would do Big Brother in a second. It seems to me that she was curious to know what it would be like, she's intelligent and interesting and creepily that's something Jonathon often likes to vocalise. But, I can understand why, because she is. I'd like to think Liam sees more in her than that ridiculous sharade. He certainly sees right through Charley and I was in fits after he hi-fived Seany for plunging her into the pool.

I think potentially, this could continue to be a year for getting to know people, getting right under their skin with much less bullshit than previous years, less of the irritatingly loud individuals and school-playground style cliques and more of what Big Brother is ultimately about. I'm just waiting until they pull some more tricks and twists out of the bag because frankly Wednesday's was a little too simple and pleasant, no one had to sweat for that and no one has suffered any blows.

No comments:

Post a Comment